knit-a-square press and media
Knit-a-square has two goals for 2009:
1. To request all of you committed to charity knitting and crocheting to make enough squares for 10 000 blankets to be distributed to abandoned children and AIDS orphans in southern Africa.
2. To help the growing knit-a-square community around the world spread the word about the plight of these children. The scale of AIDS in Africa and the consequences for the AIDS orphans remains mostly hidden. This is our chance to make a difference for them.
How can you help?
Spread the word
• Talk to everyone you know about the AIDS orphans. Point them to www.knit-a-square.com for more information.
• Tell them about the children's charities that are working to make a difference, like Soweto Comfort Club.
• Tell them about the charity knitting and crocheting you are doing to help keep the children to warm.
• Talk to your children's schools and local retirement centres. Every word you spread about the AIDS orphans, in whatever way, will find people who are prepared to help.
• Put up these
flyers and posters
in your local yarn shops, coffee shops, laundrettes and where ever there is a bulletin board
• Post word about charity knitting and crocheting on your favourite blogs
• Send word to your local press (newspaper, online paper, craft magazines, radio stations), by downloading and sending the media kit above. It contains a press release and photographs. It will be updated at the end of every month.
Here are the
which you can also print to hand out. Thank you, for doing this great work on behalf of the children.
Please subscribe to the
Square Circle ezine
for stories of the AIDS orphans and their blankets.
Every square, from everyone who knits or crochets because you have helped spread the word, will be in a blanket making a cold AIDS orphan warm.
Click here instructions on the
knit-a-square charity knitting and crochet program.